Non Binary Flags
Official Non Binary Pride Flags
The non binary pride flag was created by Kye Rowan in 2014. They created the flag to create individuality within the LGBTQ+ community, before their design non-binary was lost under the Transgender umbrella. It was lost under this umbrella because both identities reference gender. Kye felt the that non binary people were separate from this umbrella and separate from the genderqueer identity which had become the symbol for non binary at the time.
What is the black and purple flag?
Pride flags that include predominantly black and purple stripes are the Asexual, Demisexual, and Non Binary flag. Here you can find pride flags for many different orientation and identities. Find durable pride flags with canvas headers, brass grommets, and outdoor flying capabilities to show your support and help spread awareness for this upcoming pride month.
What are the colors of the nonbinary flag and what do they mean? Yellow White Purple Black
The non binary flag is made up of four horizontal stripes starting from top to bottom the colors are as follows yellow, white, purple, and black. The colors mean the following:
- Yellow- people whose gender exists outside the binary
- White- those who embrace many or all genders
- Purple- those whose gender is a mixture of male and female or those who flow fluidly through the gender binary.
- Black- people who have no gender
Definition of Non-Binary
Non-Binary is defined as people who feel they are not male or female. Non-binary folk may present more masculine one day and more feminine on others or may always be a blend of genders. They do fall into a solely male or female category their gender exists outside of the typical male or female. The word non binary comes from the idea that there are only two genders in our society or a "binary" hence "non binary".
Gender, pronouns, terms and symbols
- Genderqueer- not identifying within one gender being able to fluidly flow between gender or interchangeably.
- Gender- the range of characteristics pertaining to femininity and masculinity and differentiating between them; often based on sex and society.
- Gender Binary- a system of gender classification in which all people are categorized as being either male or female.
- Pronouns- words that refer to either the people talking or someone or something that is being talked about.
- Symbols- Non binary pride flag, genderqueer pride flag, transgender pride flag.
Enby- Enby is a term used by non binary people as a shorthanded version or nicknamed version of the word non binary.
What is genderqueer?
Genderqueer is defined as a person who does not subscribe to conventional gender distinctions but identifies with neither, both, or a combination of male and female genders. This differs from non binary because genderqueer exists within gender where non binary people identify outside of the gender binary.